Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Jeanette and I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol tonight. I think it might be the most wonderful movie there is. Perhaps that's hyperbole, but maybe not. I'm not sure how many times I watched the DVD during the Christmas season last year, but far too many to admit publicly.

It's a beautifully filmed movie, and it's full of typical Muppet humor and catchy songs. It's also quite faithful to Dickens's original story, often using Dickens's dialogue and even his narration (performed by Gonzo). Michael Caine is excellent as Ebenezer Scrooge, completely unfazed by his Muppet costars.

I think my favorite scene is Christmas present at the Cratchit house. In addition to the song "Bless Us All," it contains one of my favorite lines of the movie, which comes straight out of Dickens. When Mrs. Cratchit (played by Miss Piggy), asks how Tiny Tim behaved at church, Bob Cratchit (played by Kermit) replies, "Aw, as good as gold and better. He told me that he hoped the people saw him in church because it might be pleasant for them to remember, upon Christmas day, Who made lame beggars walk and blind men see."

Even in movies with a positive message about "the true meaning of Christmas," it's so rare to find any reference to Who Christmas is all about.

No comments: