Pope Benedict XVI's second encyclical, Spe Salvi, was released yesterday. The subject of the encyclical is hope. I haven't read it yet, but just to get an idea of what it's about, I thought I'd scan the headings for each of the sections in the letter. They are:
1. Faith is Hope
2. The concept of faith-based hope in the New Testament and the early Church
3. Eternal life -- what is it?
4. Is Christian hope individualistic?
5. The transformation of Christian faith-hope in the modern age
6. The true shape of Christian hope
7. "Settings" for learning and practicing hope
-- Prayer as a school of hope
-- Action and suffering as settings for learning hope
-- Judgement as a setting for learning and practising hope
8. Mary, Star of Hope